Global warming has now been proven to be a fact, not a myth or a theory. It has also come to light that the Bush administration knew that it was not a myth or just a theory for quite some time. Just this month, George Deutsch, a public affairs representative for the administration was fired for lying about having a college degree. As part of his duties, he prevented the press from interviewing NASA's climatology scientist about global warming because he said it was his job to "make the President look good." This administration (and probably others before it) has been keeping the truth from the American people about something so serious as the very life and future of this planet.
Why would anyone do this, you ask? Money (greed) and politics--is what it comes down to. You have to understand that Bush comes from Texas--home of big oil companies. They were big contributors to his election campaign. That's one of the reasons that the President has not wanted to fund research into alternative sources of energy. It would take business away from the oil companies and Bush has a debt to pay to those who got him elected.
Another thing you should know. In Alberta, Canada, a petroleum deposit has been found which is second only in size to Saudi Arabia. It is what our government is counting on to solve the problem of our dependency upon Middle Eastern oil. However, there is a cost for this oil and it's not just money.
Canada's environmental minister has spoken out about the environmental cost of increasing the production of oil from this deposit. Already the greenhouse gas emissions are enormous and having an impact on global warming. Because of the location of this oil in tar-like sands pits, the residue has to be cooked off, which sends these tar-filled emissions into the air polluting the environment. As they up their production to meet the demands of our country there will be more pollution and destruction of the ozone layer.
Our children and grandchildren deserve to live on a planet which is healthy. Already we are seeing the affects of global warming in the melting of the polar ice caps and glaciers, the increase in hurricanes, flooding, and other weather extremes. We will come to see more of this if we do not take the necessary steps to reverse this trend that we have set in motion.
What can you do to respect and protect Mother Earth?
- Let your Congressional representatives know that the health of this planet is a priority to you, that fuel sources at the expense of the environment is not okay.
- Let your representatives know that you want to see an emphasis on alternative sources of fuel rather than locating additional sources of fossil fuel (coal, gas and oil) which destroys our environment.
- Cut back on the driving you do. Consider carpools, public transportation, or the new Hybrid cars.
- Recycle. Use recycled paper and dispose of containers properly.
- Don't litter. Don't toss cigarette butts out the window of your car.
- See this world as the living, breathing God-given blessing that it is and insist that it be protected for other generations yet to come.
- Pray. Pray for the health of this planet and for people to wake up to what is happening and begin to take responsibility.